Dum Aloo (also spelled as Dam Aloo) is a North Indian more specifically a Kashmiri cuisine. The potatoes, usually smaller ones, are first deep fried, then cooked slowly at low flame in a curd based gravy with Indian spices.
Yes... you gain a lot of strength after having this dish..
A slight change here that I have done is to 'not' to fry these potatoes so that the dish is not heavy.
Here we go.
1. Potatoes(around 500gms,small in size, boiled and peeled off. In worst case if you do not get the small ones then take the normal sized potatoes and boil,peel and dice them)
2. Onion(3-4 in no.s),ginger,garlic
3. Tomato(2-3 in no.s) / tomato puree
4. Curd (1cup, 100 gms)
5. Spices(Dry coriander ,turmeric,chilli),bay leaves,Cardamom(big,small) and Salt
6. Oil (2-3 tbsp)
1. Heat the oil and add cardamom, bay leaves, stir it for a minute and add the onions.
Fry for 10-15 mins , until the onions are golden brown.
2. Add the diced tomatoes and fry for 5 mins. If required, add 1-2 tbsp of Oil.
3. Add the remaining spices, including salt.Fry for 5 mins. Add curd and mix well.
4. Add boiled potatoes and water (around 1 liter). Allow it boil for 10-15 mins.
5. Serve hot with Rice.