This is one of the most talked about French soup. This is little sweet in taste. The sweetness comes because of the big quantity of Onions used.I learned this from one my colleague, here in Vilnius.I have modified the recipe little bit for a little different taste.
1. Onions(preferably white onions, 500 gms and chopped medium sizes)
2. Green Onions(with the leaves, for garnish)
3. Vegetable Stock(below I have used stock prepared from Carrot,Potato,Celery and Turnip
4. 2 tablespoon Oil,1tablespoon Butter
5. Salt,Pepper as per taste,Thyme/Cumin seeds
1. Heat 2 tablespoon of Oil and 1 tablespoon of Butter in a pan. Add the onions,saute the onions on a slow flame for 20-25 mins,ensure that the onion do not get burned. Cover the Pan with a lid
2. Allow it turn light brown without getting burned.Add some cumin/thyme seeds for flavour
3. Move aside the white onions and Saute the green onions in the Pan using the oil in the pan(or you may saute green onions seperately and mix)
4. Add the vegetable stock and boil for a few minutes. Add the stock as per the consistency of the soup required.
8.Add Salt,Pepper as per taste,without these the soup tastes sweet.Serve Hot