Any Indian meal is incomplete without the daal(any type of Lentil/mix Lentil) The below recipe is the simplest recipe that I can make.There are various variants for the same recipe and all of them give different flavour and taste.
Generally, we use a pressure cooker to make dal but I have made the below recipe without a pressure cooker,but with a microwave, so that my friends who do not have a cooker can also do the same.
1. Daal 200gm(can serve 4-5)
(Any of these or mixed (Tuvar,Moong,Chana,Massor) depending on your taste/availability.
The daal is soaked in water for 1-2 hrs if pressure cooker is not available, else soak for 15-20 mins(in case pressure cooker is used)
2. Onion -- 1
3. Tomato --2
4. Red/green Chilli,Ginger,Garlic (these are optional items, you may leave them if you do not like the specific taste)
and how this looks , after chopping
5. Cumin- 1 TS(tea spoon)
6. Chilli powder 1/2 TS(depending on the amount of spicy you want to make and the Red/green chilli added above)
7. Salt (to taste)
7. Green Coriander (for garnish)
1. Cook the daal in the microwave for 15 mins with same quantity of water as of daal.
2. Saute the Onion,ginger,garlic,cumin in the pan with Oil on medium flame/heat, until the onion turns golden .Add the tomatoes and and saute for 5 mintues.
3. Add the Chilli powder (if you want to make it more spicy) and Salt. Saute for 5 more minutes and add the cooked daal. add some water(200 ml) to the above mixture.
Bring it to boil and let it boil for 5 minutes.
4. Garnish with Coriander and serve the daal hot with Rice/Indian Bread(Roti)
Comments are welcome, I hope the quality if photos have improved from the last post.